Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Territorial of the Treadmill

In an apartment complex of at least 700 adults our exercise room is usually deserted. The room itself doesn’t hold much – a treadmill, stairclimber, two cycling machines, and a monstrosity of metal appendages that promises a thorough workout of any muscle group. Even the availability of free equipment and recent New Year’s resolutions can’t seem keep the room in use. So with the expectation that the room will usually be empty, I’ve managed to become territorial about the treadmill; all of this in the matter of one short week.

I got to the exercise room about 7:15, fifteen minutes later than I had planned, and found the treadmill in use. Of course she had every right to be there, but I casually glanced at the time she had been walking. 15 minutes. What were the chances she was going to be done anytime soon? Pretty much none at all since I was so too eager for my own turn.

I decided to go with my next best option and use the stairclimber and the cycling machine:

Stairclimber: 8 minutes, 103 floors, 140 calories
Cycling Machine: 20 minutes, 5.5 miles, 260 calories

I don’t know how to compare that to my jogging workout.

1 comment:

Amy Pennington said...

i so understand what you are saying....and pretty soon you will try ad get there 10 minutes earlier and earlier until finally you stake your claim on that tread mill again. I have struggled with this before...no fun!