Monday, April 28, 2008

6 muffins = 1 hour of sleep

While I was out Saturday running errands I had a stroke of parenting genius. The girls are in the habit of waking up before dawn and coming into our room. Often they climb in our bed to snuggle with us, but this is often short lived. Very soon the moans of "I'm hungry", and "I want breakfast" commence. They are as regular as an alarm clock and more persuasive. On school days we have to agree that it's time to get the day started, but weekends are a different matter.

My stroke of genius hit me when I was passing the bakery at the grocery store while picking up a few items for Sunday's meals. I filled a box with a half dozen muffins. Before going to sleep, I put the muffins on the kitchen table. Sunday morning we actually slept in until 7:30 before being woken up by the girls! This was a breakthrough! We found Avery at the table with chocolate crumbs all around her. She explained that she was having "cake" for breakfast. The chocolate-chocolate chip muffin had been decimated. Steph and I grinned at each other. We couldn't believe that we could buy an extra hour of sleep so cheaply.

5 comments:

The {Prince} Family said...

ha ha, this sounds like my house too. Except we have an alarm and the kiddos can't go into the kitchen until we turn it off. I usually tuck them into bed with me..... all 5 of us! and it is off to sleep again for an hour or so. The only problem is that I am getting WAY to big to have all 5 of us in our bed. Need a better solution.

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

It's got to be nice to have your own house (are you renting or buying from your grandmother?) with a yard! And to have all those memories from when you grew up there too!

Five in our bed doesn't work that well either. Usually one of the girls ends up out of the bed until another leaves.

the letter "J" said...

Way too funny! Our kids wake us up way too early too, unfortunately it's not due to hunger but do to teasing. Any suggestions on this one??

Amy Pennington said...

that is awesome....self sufficent kiddos are the best!

Melanie said...

i can't belive in 11 years of marriage, rhett and i have have never thought of this! that would totally work...our kids would probably sell US for cake!