Monday, April 28, 2008

Family Home "Feats of Strength" Evening

Three weeks without a blog entry is too long. Having requests for more entries is flattering, but the pressure is also on. Will we be able to satisfy the curiosity and meet the expectations?

Tonight we had a singing family home evening. Basically, this is when mom and dad (Steph and Ben) don't plan an actual lesson and we end up singing every song the girls want to out of the children's songbook. Dancing is welcomed, and free expression is encouraged. After half an hour, there was more dancing and acrobatics than singing. It was at this point when I started to wonder if I could still do a handstand. Yes. Yes, I still can. But the pressure to my head was enough to keep it to a 5 second feat.

The girls were not to be left out on this one. Britta did suspended situps (she wraps her legs around my waist and I support her lower back while she lowers her head to the ground and sits all the way up). That girl is tough! She did two sets of three with no hands! Eden was determined to work on her cartwheels. I acted as spotter and helped her get the feel of it. Still needs some work, but she's got the enthusiasm to see it through. To round off the evening, Stephanie challenged everyone in the room to arm wrestle with her. She was soundly beaten by Eden and Britta working together.

I think we inadvertantly added another dimension to FHE. Now, in addition to the opening and closing prayers and songs, lesson, scripture reading, activity, and refreshments, we now will be including a 'feats of strength' segment. Stephanie and I starting considering taking a break from the girls dance lessons during the summer and enrolling them in gymnastics for few months to see if they take to it. We'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

The {Prince} Family said...

yay! gymnastics! Saira is in dance right now but I think she is more the gymnastics type. I, too, will have her try that out.

Aren't girlies fun? :)

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

Girls are great! I think Britta will really take to soccer and gymnastics.

Amy Pennington said...

that is so funny....we recently tried to do handstands and cartwheels with our princess and Doug is still recovering from a hurt shoulder...and I saw spots for about an hour after my cartwheel...but I still stuck my landing...i was a raiderette!

Melanie said...

never a dull moment at the taylor house! i love the new posts! you always describe it so i feel like i'm there! wish i was,your girls are a hoot...give them a squeeze for me:)

Melanie said...

p.s. sorry for the demands for new posts, (i think i was also very hungry that day as well) i know you are SUPER busy. i would say it won't happen again but let's face it. i'm related to stephanie. we like to taunt and give people a hard time for fun!